Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Special Yell Thing: Well...maybe someday, Stormwatch won't make me cringe.

My Special Yell Thing: Well...maybe someday, Stormwatch won't make me cringe.:

thenakedlibrarianontheroof:

And still nobody can write the Midnighter correctly. (Except maybe me. There, I said it. Whatcha gon’ do, DC?)

Mister Thing needs to take himself a chill pill. There is no reason on earth for him to be so all-fired mad that the Red Lantern Corps comes a-courting. No. Reason.

But hell, he’s…

I agree… but I will say that I found this issue a whole lot less cringeworthy than Cornell’s issues, with motormouth slimy used car salesman Midnighter. He was more reserved, which is a step in the right direction. I think Milligan is going somewhere with Midnighter, and will be actually doing some, you know, *character development* and he will become something more than a collection of cliches.  We can’t expect all the damage to be undone in one issue. But yeah, the way they just kinda brushed over Midnighter’s creepy behaviour towards Apollo is disappointing. On the one hand, I can understand why, because he was, you know, creepy, get him away from that, please. But it just makes Apollo look like a doormat. Apollo’s better than that.

So… yeah. still not what I would want from the characters, but I can’t deny that it’s looking like it will end up being an improvement overall. That they continue to use the name Lucas for him, and even went far as to add the Trent name, just illustrates how little research Cornell and/or the editors did, though. There was exactly ONE name we knew his real name WASN’T in Wildstorm, and it was Lucas Trent, he just thought it might be for a while. but this is something Milligan was saddled with, and there isn’t much he can do about it. But it will continue to irk me.

Also, I liked this bit of dialogue, even if it was kind of bittersweet:

Engineer: “For some time now, we’ve been monitoring an organization called the Green Lanterns. they consider themselves the ultimate authority on Earth.” Midnighter: “I thought that was supposed to be us.”

I miss The Authority :(

And yeah, holy fuck, was the art hideous this issue… thankfully, it is Sepulveda’s last.



Imported from Tumblr: http://rayegunn.tumblr.com/post/22307678609

No comments:

Post a Comment