Wednesday, May 9, 2012

BBC News - S Korea 'to target powdered human flesh capsules'

BBC News - S Korea 'to target powdered human flesh capsules':

OMG, what the hell, people? This is cannibalism! Didn’t we grow out of this already?

You know what this reminds me of? The widest spread instance of cannibalism in human history: Victorian England’s upper class. For real. Egyptian mummies were thought to have medicinal properties, a practice which began in medieval Middle East, but really reached the peak of popularity during the Egypt craze in Victorian England. They’d grind up the mummies and make the powder into a tea to ‘treat’ all sorts of ailments. The practice became so popular that they eventually ran out of genuine mummies, and began digging up contemporary corpses and drying them out to meet the demand. It’s shocking that so many people during that time managed to justify cannibalism to themselves by convincing themselves that Egyptian mummies weren’t people. 

I am actually going to include a story based on the whole mummy powder thing in Kent, which is how I know about it (that, and I am a total mummy nut). I never expected it to have a contemporary counterpart, though. I mean, I know alternative medicine has all sorts of crazy shit, but I thought it stopped short of grinding up babies.



Imported from Tumblr: http://rayegunn.tumblr.com/post/22712978310

No comments:

Post a Comment