Thursday, April 26, 2012

Escher Girls: I just wanted to say something

Escher Girls: I just wanted to say something:

eschergirls:

namidaaz submitted:

This is actually drawn by me, but I just wanted to say something. Some people like to use the excuse that “Oh, thats just my style!” but there is a difference between style and flat out error. My style tends to naturally be very thin and curvy, and a lot of other…

I am all for stylization, and don’t like objectification of women. But that doesn’t mean androgyny, stylizing them so they both look essentially identical, is the right way to stylize without objectification. The ‘man’ here has gone beyond androgynous, you’ve lost what it is to make a man a man. I mean, if androgyny is what you want do do, fine, seems to work for bishonen, and I’ve drawn my share of ‘pretty’ men. But to say that’s the only right way is being incredibly myopic and is nearly as offensive, by putting forward the idea that curvy women (or muscular men) should be ashamed of their bodies, that we should pretend they don’t exist.

Stylization is often exaggeration, to act as a visual shorthand, so you accentuate the masculine traits on a man, (broad shoulders, narrow hips, etc.) and the feminine traits on a woman, (broad hips, slighter frame, and, yes, sometimes boobs) and there is nothing wrong with that. As long as both men and women are stylized, it can be in different ways. Stylize based on gender first, then expand on it for character. Not all women should look the same, just as not all men should look the same.

In short: Accentuating the feminine form is not objectification without context. It becomes objectification when you stick them in a demeaning pose, situation and/or costume, not just by virtue of their proportions.



Imported from Tumblr: http://rayegunn.tumblr.com/post/21878152008

No comments:

Post a Comment