Sunday, December 13, 2015

hey! can you expand on why you didn't buy/keep the african dwarf frogs?

They died. I would have kept them otherwise, I had a couple of them years ago and i really like them. But there is a deadly and highly contagious fungus going around with amphibians called Chytrid, and once i learned to recognize the signs after the first couple frogs got sick and I looked up the symptoms they displayed, I looked at 3 different stores and realized all of them were infected. Also judging by message board posts i found on the web, many other people are encountering them coming infected, so clearly they are coming infected from the breeders that the stores buy from, ( the frogs can last for about 3-4 months while infected without displaying many symptoms, which is old enough for unscrupulous breeders to ship em off) one of the stores i checked confirmed this, I asked about them and he said they were not for sale because they arrived sick) or the stores have infected water in their system so will keep infecting any new frogs they get. The chances of getting healthy ones right now is very small. It’s treatable with a Lamasil bath if you catch it early, and the fungus is never introduced to your main tank. But now that I have had the fungus in my tank, it will be either a complete tear down, or a minimum of 3 months until I can put more amphibians i there, probably 6 or so to be safe, since it can survive that long without a host. :-/ The cories and tetras are nice alternatives though, and are doing well for me, even if the betta gets overfed from time to time stealing their food.



Imported from Tumblr: http://ift.tt/1SVc3sp

No comments:

Post a Comment