Thursday, January 10, 2013

An Experimental Question

gailsimone:



Just answer with your true feelings please, no one will be graded. :)


What would you like to see from DC and Marvel in the year 2013?



From both, but especially Marvel - I want fewer crossovers and events. DC is better about it because when they do a crossover type thing, you generally don’t have to buy all parts to follow it. But I really want the books I follow to stay as self contained as possible. I am fine with guest appearances, but when a story begins spilling into multiple books I get frustrated and I am more liable to drop a book for the duration of the crossover than pick up more. In Marvel right now this very second, Thor: God of Thunder is far and away my favorite book, and part of why is that it is self contained. It does not rely on any of the AvX stuff and I think it would severely damage my enjoyment of the book if it was dragged into a crossover. At DC, I love Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire both, but I’ve ended up putting Swamp Thing and Animal Man on the back burner until Rotworld is finished. I waited until Court of Owls was finished before reading that. I just don’t have the patience anymore to juggle multiple books with an interconnecting story, it frustrates me. (I am reading Death of the Family as it comes out though) I think I am in the minority here, though, since I know crossovers generally mean a bump in sales, but… I would be perfectly fine if the shared universe was done away with and each character or family of characters got their own little universe that they could have a bigger impact on. But I know that will never happen with the big 2.


I have seen some telltale signs of editorial meddling in DC’s books in particular, and I’d like them to ease up on that. I understand the need for editors to keep things running smoothly in a shared universe, and I get that the writers are dealing with company toys, and the company has the final say in how the characters are used, and they absolutely should be able to approve/veto stories. But I feel they’ve been going too far in a lot of cases, and often in pointless and stupid ways.


There are some pre-New52 characters that I would like to see again. Secret Six is a big one. Also some Wildstorm characters like Jackson King (and Christine along with him), Hellstrike, Winter, TAO (and please, aside from TAO, obviously, don’t make them villains like happened with Grunge, Fuji and Warblade)


I want the Authority characters, but especially Engineer, Apollo and Midnighter, to be fixed. DC wants to know why Stormwatch is failing right now? I think a large part is because of the way the characters have been written wildly out of character (and their appearances (and powers) changed in pointless ways. Midnighter’s coat, Apollo’s hair and halo, Jack’s hands and eyes). They’ve lost the aspects people liked about them, they’re the same characters in name only, and people are dropping it because they don’t recognize the characters they liked, and to be frank the new versions aren’t engaging enough to attract very many new fans. I am sure this can be said of a lot of DC characters as well, but I was more of a Wildstorm fan, and they were favorites of mine.






Imported from Tumblr: http://rayegunn.tumblr.com/post/40210426085

No comments:

Post a Comment