Friday, April 19, 2013

skyrimconfessionss: “I wish Skyrim didn’t feel so small to me....





skyrimconfessionss:



I wish Skyrim didn’t feel so small to me. I see all of these concept art photos, with massive mountains and huge expanses, but when I get in game it’s all scaled down. I understand why they have to do that, but hopefully things will be bigger in next-gen consoles.”


http://skyrimconfessions.com/



To be fair, this isn’t unique to Skyrim (or Bethesda’s games in general) it happens in all games that cover a fairly large area. I also don’t think it’s a console restriction, but a conscious design choice. When you are dealing with an area as large as a country, even a small one, which contains multiple cities and towns that you can visit, it’s just impractical for the devs to create all of it, it would take far too long, and it would run the risk of becoming more and more generic if they tried to do it. I’ve seen some games that block off areas in various ways to make it clear you are only visiting a small portion of a larger city, but that often feels a bit frustrating that you don’t have the freedom to go where you want. But on the other hand, I think it would also get frustrating if the cities were of a more realistic scale in terms of number of buildings, streets and people, and it DIDN’T have areas blocked off, because it would take so long to find your way around, that you’d never get anything done, and you’d constantly be getting lost in the warren of unfamiliar streets. It would make the quest markers an absolute necessity for finding specific NPC’s if there were thousands of them wandering around, too. I think we just have to accept that the world has been compressed, and that each person we see actually kinda represents 10 or even a hundred people…






Imported from Tumblr: http://rayegunn.tumblr.com/post/48415414528

No comments:

Post a Comment