Monday, November 12, 2012

I know how Apollo could beat Superman



And to top it off it’s a cakewalk of a victory, and doesn’t involve Doors!


So, in a recent interview, artist Will Conrad was rather insistent that Apollo could beat Superman, to which I was like… no. I love Apollo, he’s easily one of my very favorite characters, but I know that he drains his power reserves easily, and Superman has a much larger bag of tricks. I figured Apollo would just futilely throw everything he had at Superman, Supes would shrug it off then pummel Apollo once he had drained his charge. But Conrad seemed so sure that Apollo would win, it seemed like he was privy to some inside knowledge (unsurprising since he’s Stormwatch’s artist) so I got to thinking. And it hit me. It’s so OBVIOUS.


Conrad kept hitting on the point of Superman and the yellow sun, which made me realize Superman and Apollo are both powered by the sun, but there is one crucial difference; Apollo is, as far as we know, indiscriminate about which sun he gets his energy from, red, yellow, blue, whatever. Some may grant a more powerful charge than others, and naturally he lives on a planet with a yellow sun so that’s where he gets his charge normally, but none of them will affect him negatively. Superman on the other hand is yellow sun only, hit him with the rays from a RED sun, powers vanish. In Stormwatch so far, Apollo has made mention of adjusting the wavelength of the light he emits, if he adjusts his wavelength to match that of a red sun…. he hits Superman with a red sun beam, and instantly drains Superman’s powers.








Imported from Tumblr: http://rayegunn.tumblr.com/post/35597241462

No comments:

Post a Comment