Friday, March 13, 2015

"While aware of it, while living through it, even I find myself blinking a little at the scale of his..."

“While aware of it, while living through it, even I find myself blinking a little at the scale of his success. If Pratchett’s fiercely humanist, precisely angry books really are currently the second-most-read in the U.K., it’s the first time I’ve felt proud about my country for a long while. If that many people share Pratchett’s measured outrage, perhaps we’re going to be okay.”



-

Vulture asked me to write a piece about Terry Pratchett, why he was important, why so many people cared and the carefully considered moral outrage that drove it. You can read the rest here.


I was a little surprise at myself I managed to find the above as an optimistic conclusion. It’s important to be sad, but it’s also important to be grateful. It’s sad to have a world without Pratchett. It’s far sadder to imagine a world that never had him.


And I’ll add a few more autobiographical notes beneath the cut.


Read More


(via kierongillen)






Imported from Tumblr: http://ift.tt/18Itqe2

No comments:

Post a Comment