Thursday, March 10, 2016

dauor: rayegunn: brevoortformspring: Tom, I just needed to sort of “vent” and express my...

dauor:

rayegunn:

brevoortformspring:

Tom, I just needed to sort of “vent” and express my disappointment in one specific aspect of an otherwise great series, Migthy Thor: Loki.

This iteration of Loki had such a magnificent character arc since Gillen’s Young Avengers, and I’m actually pretty saddened by what has become of him in Mighty Thor.Ewing’s series finally had him come to terms to who he is, and the book ended in such a high note… only to have him (hopefully temporarily) return to his old ways in his very next appeance.

Not only that, but his entire character development was unceremoniously thrown out of the window in issue #3 with a “this is not actually what I wanted, I’m just fooling myself,” which also kinda undermines Ewing’s work, since apparently he didn’t even want to change from the bottom of his heart to begin with.

I guess in the end it’s kinda funny, after all, Ewing’s Loki: Agent of Asgard touched on the topic that people will always make a villain out of Loki for one simply reason, because he’s Loki. I guess that extended to real life, not only in-universe.

So this is what I wanted to say. Maybe you’re getting to this part having scoffed a bit because I am wrong and maybe next issue will have Loki saying “SIKE!” and teleporting back to Manhattan to watch TV with Verity (where’s that gal, btw?), after all, I do not know how this story will finish unfolding. But as of today, this is what I feel. Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Have a good one.

———-

I know the OP is unlikely to read this, but I just gotta say… You have to give the story a chance to finish where it’s going. Aaron has dropped NUMEROUS hints that  Loki is up to something that is not evil here. Freyja did not die, probably intentionally. As Cul said, that she still lives means Loki is either very bad at poisoning someone, or very good. It’s quite likely he only intended to make it LOOK like he tried to kill her. And he seemed unusually sad and apologetic about it if this was some sort of revenge scheme or something, didn’t he? Also, the act had positive effects for everyone BUT Freyja and Loki, who is now stuck in Jotunheim with a father he hates, while Thor is on the way to beat them to a pulp. He got NOTHING out of this. Meanwhile, the civil war ended, Asgard’s defenses are strengthened as a result making it harder for Malekith to conquer it, the Council of Worlds is restored, Heimdall and others freed from the dungeons, Odin snapped out of his insane vandetta against Freyja,  Thor Odinson snapped out of his funk and is likely on his way back. All as a result of this one horrible looking act.

Basically, it’s looking like he sacrificed his happy ending to save Asgard. He saw what it would take to stop the fighting and did it, even though it meant he was thought of as the villain again, and didn’t want that. Loki was the hero here, just disguised as the villain.

That’s why I made sure to add the following bit: “Maybe (…) I am wrong (…), after all, I do not know how this story will finish unfolding. But as of today, this is what I feel.

Hopefully Aaron pulls up some trick, and hopefully we’ll get to see a quadruple heel turn. But even if your analysis is right (which is pretty interesting and makes really good points, btw), there are other things that point to the direction I really wish this book was not taking.

For example, the whole “I’m just fooling myself” happened in a conversation between Loki and himself, so he didn’t have anybody to trick by stating that. And that’s why I’m feeling a bit wary of the prospect of a “Loki was good all along” revelation.

Maybe Loki’s conversation with his younger bluer self is meant to deceive the audience. But in that case, it’s a bit of a sloppy job considering there would be no actual reason for Loki to lie about that in a private conversation nobody would be listening aside from himself.

I just want to point out that in that scene though he was talking to an illusion of himself, he wasn’t alone, we were not the only audience during that scene, Thor was there as well. 

Also, I don’t think the end of Agent of Asgard was meant to be taken as him having completely gotten over all his bad tendencies. Just that he was no longer defined by them. He’s likely never going to be a hero, he will likely always have an internal struggle about doing the right thing vs the easy or selfish thing, and will still probably often choose the selfish and/or easy path. And yes, sometimes miss the relative simplicity of his villain days. He’s a gray area anti-hero.



Imported from Tumblr: http://ift.tt/1pbqcII

No comments:

Post a Comment